Saturday, February 16, 2013

(NOTE:  THIS WAS WRITTEN SEVERAL DAYS AGO.  I JUST DISCOVERED THAT IT DID NOT GET PUBLISHED.  SO THERE ARE TWO NEW BLOGS TODAY, THIS ONE AND THE ONE FOLLOWING IT)


This has turned out to be a bi country report

First, Happy Valentine Day all.

THAILAND

Today, is moving day.  I head to the airport for my flight to Luang Prabang in a couple of hours.  My morning has been taken up with the mundane - doing laundry and packing.

Although I sent a reservation request in several days ago, unfortunately I received an email from the Tamarind Cooking School yesterday evening that they have no space available for the three days I requested.  I am casting about now for another school, but the pickings are slim.  Fortunately, I have a line on a cooking school in Vientiane, so there will be some class time in Laos, I just don’t know how much.

Forewarned is forewarned, so they say.  I am already working on lining up cooking classes in Malaysia since it appears they tend to get booked well in advance.  I also just bought my plane ticket, Vientiane to Kuala Lumpur for Feb. 24th.   That will give me two solid weeks of cooking there.  But, more on that later.

I have a bunch of photos to share.  Rather than overloading the blog with lots of them I’m going to post an album on Picassa or one of those sites.  I’ll give you the link to it in a future post here on the blog.

Nothing in the way of food to report other than I ate breakfast at a new place which had a McCormack pepper mill with whole peppercorns.  It was about the size King Kong might use.  It was at least five times larger than what we get in the states.  The restaurant owner told me the store that sells them is about a 20 minute walk.  If I have time I’ll buy one and be the only kid on the block with one back home.  Obviously, it doesn't take much to amuse me. 

I am packed with an hour to spare.  So, after a 20 minute forced march in the noonday sun I arrived at the store that sells the giant pepper mill.  I was greeted by a very pleasant shopkeeper who explained that they were out of them at the moment.  Well, anyway, it was good exercise to make the hike there and back to the hotel.  I need the exercise and must confess that I am probably the only person in the country gaining weight eating solely Thai food.  Maybe the sticky rice sticky to my waist.

LUANG PRABANG LAOS

I arrived about 5pm.  After checking into the Namsok Guesthouse I hot footed it to the Tamnak Lao Cooking School.  I was able to get the 16th at their cooking school.  From there it was on  to the Tamarind Cooking School.  The only date they had available was the 18th.  At least I’ll get two days of cooking experience.  While at the Tamarind which is also a restaurant I told the host that I knew nothing about Laotian food and asked if he would order dinner for me.  In other words I would eat whatever came to the table.

What a very pleasant introduction to Lao food this turned out to be.  First, there was a tall bottle of Beerlao, the Laotian national beer.  It is tasty.  Then came chicken which had been minced fine and mixed with herbs.  What made it special was that stalks of lemongrass had been slit for about four or five inches starting very near the bottom and working backwards.  The slit parts were then pounded with a mallet to fray them.  The chicken mixture was then inserted in the cut portion of the lemongrass and the fibers used to encase the chicken.  It was dipped in an egg mixture and deep fried.  What you notice first and what makes this a great dish is that the flavor of the lemon grass, which you do not eat,  is infused into the chicken mixture.  There were four on the plate which made an ample portion.  They were served with a dipping sauce along with plain sticky rice which you also dip in the sauce.

Next was a mixture of fish that had been skinned, deboned, pounded in a mortar, and mixed with herbs.  It was then wrapped in a banana leaf and steamed.  The banana leaf came to the table tied up in a packet.  When you untie the leaf there is a lovely fragrance that greats you.  Another super dish. What a way to get introduced to Lao food!ost Host xxxjxjxxxzj

No comments:

Post a Comment